Low Graphics Version Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map
City of Fullerton
Home ... > Traffic & Parking > Traffic Accident
State College & Raymond Grade Separation Updates
Water Bill Payment
City Employment
Agendas & Minutes
City Services
Emergency Preparedness
Online Services
Public Notices
Traffic Accidents

Traffic Accident Procedures

What to do if you’re involved in an accident?

If you’re involved in a traffic accident you may be confused, dazed, and upset.

  • The most important thing to remember is to stay calm.
  • If someone is hurt call 911 immediately and ask for assistance.
  • Do not move injured people unless necessary to prevent further injury.
  • It is important to move vehicles and people out of the roadway as soon as possible to prevent another accident caused by someone not paying attention.
    • If there are no injuries and you can safely move the vehicles:
      • Move vehicles out of the roadway you are required to move them to a safe location, CVC, 20002(a).
    • If the vehicles are not drivable:
      • Activate the emergency flashers
      • And walk to a safe location.

Police Report

In the State of California, a police report is not required unless the collision results in injury or death.

  • If there are injuries:
    • call the police and an officer will respond to investigate the accident.
  • If there are no injuries:
    • you may call and an officer will respond and assist you with exchanging information with the other people.

      If you feel an officer is not needed you should exchange the information between yourselves. You will need the other person’s:

      • Full Name
      • Address
      • Phone number
      • Driver's license number and State of Issue
      • Insurance company and policy number
      • Make, model, license number, and registered owners information of the involved vehicles
      • Witness or passenger names and phone numbers

        If you decide to make a claim with your insurance company you will need to contact them and provide the information you obtained.

        If the damage was more than $750 or there were injuries you are required to complete a DMV SR1 form within ten days of the accident. Most insurance companies complete this form for you. Ask your company if you need to complete it or if they will.

        How to obtain a copy of your accident report?

        Traffic accident reports are generally available:

        • Twelve working days from the date of the accident
        • At a cost of $15.00
        • Contact the Traffic Bureau at (714) 738-5313 for any inquiries.

        There are three ways to obtain a police report.

        • In person (237 W. Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA92832)
          • Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
        • By mail (Fullerton Police Department Traffic Bureau, 237 W. Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA 92832). Be sure to include:
          • the case number,
          • date and time of the accident,
          • location of the accident,
          • a check or money order
            • made payable to the City of Fullerton
            • in the amount of $15.00,
          • and a self addressed stamped envelope.
        • Via the internet, log on to http://fullertonca.policereports.us. You will need:
          • the report number
          • driver's last name to access the report.

        We’re sorry but report information cannot be given out over the phone.

RSS for Fullerton NewsFullerton eLists
Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map | Disclaimer & Privacy PolicyCopyright © 2000 - 2015 City of Fullerton. Police Department, 237 W. Commonwealth, Fullerton, CA 92832. (714) 738-6800