The new Ordinance will apply
If you are:
- Newly installing landscape
- For R-1 and R-2 (Single-Family or Two-Family Residential) zones this applies only to landscaped areas of 5,000 sq.ft. or larger
- All other zones this applies no matter the size of the landscaped area
- Replacing more than 50% of existing material.
- Except replacing like for like (such as replacing grass with grass).
- And if the area being landscaped is
- 5,000 sq.ft. or larger in R-1 and R-2 (Single-Family or Two-Family Residential) zones
- 2,500 sq.ft. or larger in all other zones
Landscape Ordinance supports state-wide efforts to more efficiently use water resources.
City of Fullerton is one of the 34 Orange County cities utilizing the Model Landscape Ordinance developed by the Municipal Water District of Orange County and the Orange County Division of the League of Cities. The OC Model Ordinance was developed in response to State legislation (AB 1881) which would put in place a State Model Ordinance unless a local jurisdiction adopted its own ordinance prior to January 1, 2010. The guiding principles of the OC Model are local control; simplicity, efficiency, and flexibility; and consistency among OC cities, while remaining in compliance with State law. The City’s Landscape Ordinance builds on the OC Model to create a City-specific ordinance which provides standards for the efficient use of water for landscape purposes, while maintaining an aesthetically pleasing and environmentally beneficial landscape utilizing a diverse mix of plant material. For single-family homes, the Ordinance applies only to new landscaping or rehabilitation projects for landscape areas greater than 5,000 sq. ft. Other zones have lower thresholds.