Location: 329 E. Commonwealth Avenue
1930: Brick Commercial
This two-story commercial structure was built for Andre Loumagne as a store and residence. Loumagne and his family probably occupied the upper story, with its Palladian windows and wooden balustrade. The lower story retains its folding doors and matching windows. At one time the structure was a garage, with cars pulling up under the porte-cochere at the east side. The building exemplifies a particular architectural style and a way of life that was part of the community in the first part of the 20th century.
In 1983, the building was extensively rehabilitated for use as offices. The original wood stairs, balustrade, and window frames were replaced with similar wood construction. In addition to seismic retrofitting, the upgrade of the building included painting the concrete brick walls, the installation of decorative pavement and fencing and new landscaping in the frontage area along Commonwealth Avenue.