Originally: Grumwald’s Tin Shop
Location: 341 E. Commonwealth Avenue
1925: Brick Commercial
Now a market, this small building was originally a tin shop built for and owned by Gus Grumwald. It is a good example of the type of commercial structure that flourished in Fullerton in the 1920s. The present coat of paint conceals the use of two colors of brick that would have been left exposed for decoration in 1925.
The original appearance of the building has been lost with a 1980s addition of the gable roof. The building’s original design featured a flat roof with a stylized parapet to break the simple cubical shape. The storefront appears to be unaltered, however.