Originally: Hale House
Location: 2025 E. Chapman Avenue
1908: Mission Revival
This outstanding Mission Revival house was constructed for William Lee Hale in 1908. Mr. Hale built this house on his 28-acre ranch among walnut and orange groves. The ranch and home was considered one of the showplaces of Orange Country in the early 1900s. The residence had ten rooms as well as a bath and kitchen, each finished in elegant detail. Mr. Hale was instrumental in promoting the citrus industry in Southern California, and he was very active in civic affairs, serving eight years on the Fullerton City Council starting in 1928.
The Mission Revival style was not commonly used for residences. The desired romantic flavor of the house was accomplished by the use of arches, columns and decorative balusters but with a clear overall look. Constructed with brick, the structure has a square, two-story (plus basement and attic) floor plan. The primary architectural features are the four finely detailed mission parapets and two massive porches. Many other design elements of the house use Colonial Revival, Islamic and craftsman detailing that was popular at the time. For example, the front side of the house features a series of craftsman windows and doors with elaborate detailing and beveled glass. The wooden pergola, which obstructs the view of the structure from Chapman Avenue, is another craftsman feature and is part of the original design of the site.
The house was converted to a Montessori School in the 1970s. In 1984, a sizeable expansion of the facility included new construction of classrooms on the east and west sides of the residence, but no major alterations to the house itself.