Location: 1400 W. Orangethorpe Avenue
1917: Craftsman Bungalow
This Craftsman bungalow is one of a series of former grove houses that dotted the land between the townsites of Fullerton and Anaheim early in the 20th century. As one of the better preserved examples, the house has architectural interest in the use of stone, a practice promoted by the founders of the Craftsman movement but rarely seen in Fullerton. Similarly, the bank of windows in the upper story denotes the link between the Craftsman and Prairie styles.
The house was built for Clarence Spencer, whose family also constructed the house at 1520 West Orangethorpe Avenue. Clarence Spencer was active in forming the shortlived community of Orangethorpe in the 1920s.