Low Graphics Version Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map
City of Fullerton
City Clerk
Home ... > November Election > November 2012 FAQ
State College & Raymond Grade Separation Updates
Water Bill Payment
City Employment
Agendas & Minutes
City Services
Emergency Preparedness
Online Services
Public Notices
November 2012 Election FAQs

The City of Fullerton will hold a General Municipal Election in conjunction with this November’s Presidential Election.  The following information provides answers to many of the frequently asked questions regarding the election and a nominations process.  Citizens requiring further information or clarification can contact the City of Fullerton City Clerk’s Office at 714.738.6350.

General Municipal Election Information

When is the election?

November 6, 2012.  The City will consolidate its General Municipal Election with the Presidential Election ballot.

What City Offices and Measures will be on the November 2012 ballot?

Three City Council Member seats (held by Council Members Quirk-Silva, Whitaker and Kiger) will be on the November 6, 2012 ballot.  The City will also have a referendum measure on the ballot asking if the City should adopt Ordinance No. 3169 which approves the Development Agreement for the West Coyote Hills Project and a measure asking voters to approve changes to the Fullerton Municipal Code to legalize state-approved fireworks within City Limits.

Wasn’t Council Member Kiger just elected in the June recall election?

Yes, Council Member Kiger was elected to the seat previously held by Council Member Jones in the June recall election. The term for that seat expires in December 2012 regardless of who holds the position.  So, the voters will decide who fills the seat for the 2012-2016 term this November.

How long are the Council Member Terms?

Council Members serve a term of four years.

Do candidates declare which seat they will run for?

Unlike the recent recall election, candidates in a General Municipal Election do not run for specific seats in Fullerton.  Because all seats have the same length of term, the three candidates with the highest number of votes will assume the three seats in the November election.

Does the City have term limits for Council Members?

The Fullerton voters approved term limits commencing with the November 2010 election.  Ordinance No. 3165 states that Council Members may serve three successive four-year terms and are then ineligible to serve again until four years have passed.

How are the winning City Council candidates determined?

City Council seats are “at-large” positions.  The three candidates with the highest number of votes in the November 2012 election will win the three seats up for election.

Who pays for the election?

The City of Fullerton.

How much will the election cost?

The total estimated cost for the election is between $104,000 and $117,100.

How do I run for a City Council Seat?

How do I run for City Council?

The City Clerk will issue nomination papers to candidates. It’s best to contact the City Clerk at (714) 738-6350 to schedule an appointment as the process takes 30-60 minutes to pull and another 30-60 to file nominations papers.

When is the nominations period to pull and file papers to run for office?

The nominations period for the November 6, 2012 election opens on Monday, July 16, 2012 and closes at the end of business on Friday, August 10, 2012.  If any of the incumbents do not run for re-election, the filing period will extend for five days and close on August 15, 2012.

How many City Council seats will be open in November?

Three City Council Member seats (held by Council Members Quirk-Silva, Whitaker and Kiger) will be on the November 6, 2012 ballot. 

Can I run for more than one seat?


Can the incumbents run for reelection?

Yes, all of the incumbents are eligible to run for re-election.

What does it cost to run for office?

The City charges $25 to file papers to run for City Council.

Candidates may also submit an optional candidate statement at the time they file nominations paperwork.  The City collects a deposit of $1225 for the candidate statement and either refunds or invoices the candidates for the actual cost of printing following the election.

Voter information

How can I register to vote, verify an existing registration, cancel my registration, or update my registration?

You can verify your registration using the Registrar of Voters’ new voter lookup feature. You can also register to vote, update your registration or learn more about voter registration here:  http://www.ocvote.com/registration/voter-registration-info  or call the Registrar of Voters at 714.567.7600.)

How do I request a Vote-By-Mail Ballot?

You can request a Vote-by-Mail ballot for the November 6, 2012 election through October 30, 2012 at http://www.ocvote.com/votebymail or call the Registrar of Voters at 714.567.7600. (You can also track the status of your Vote-by-Mail ballot at http://www.ocvote.com/.)

I lost or damaged my vote-by-mail ballot, how can I get a replacement?

Follow this link to get a replacement vote-by-mail ballot:  http://www.ocvote.com/voting/vote-by-mail-voting/request-replacement-vote-by-mail-ballot/

I would like to vote at my polling place and need the location. Where can I find the address?

You can look up your polling place here:  https://www.ocvote.com/registration/verify-your-voter-registration/ or call the Registrar of Voters at 714.567.7600.

I notice the location of my polling place changed - why was it moved?

In California,  polling places are not permanent sites. The locations may change from election-to-election. The most common reason for the change of a polling place location is that the facility is no longer available to serve as a polling place.

Can I opt out of receiving my sample ballot in the mail and/or view it online?

Yes.  Just follow this link:  https://www.ocvote.com/registration/verify-your-voter-registration/

I have been receiving political mail and phone calls at my home. Where are they obtaining my information?

This information can be obtained from a variety of sources, including the voter registration list. Current State law allows voter registration data to be obtained for election, governmental, scholarly or political research purposes.

How do I find election results?

You can find election results at www.ocvote.com.

Where can I find the list of candidates,  candidate statements and campaign finance reports?

You find them all at:  http://cityoffullerton.com/depts/city_clerk/elections/default.asp

Ballot Measure Information

What is the deadline to file arguments for and against the ballot measure?

Ballot measure arguments (for and against) must be filed with the City Clerk’s Office by the end of business on August 10, 2012

What is the deadline for rebuttal arguments?

Ballot measure rebuttals must be filed with the City Clerk’s Office by the end of business on August 20, 2012

When do measures get a letter designation?

The Registrar of Voters assigns letters to local measure after the August 10th filing deadline. 

West Coyote Hills Referendum information

What is a referendum?

A municipal referendum is a petition protesting the adoption of an ordinance passed by the City Council. The petition must be submitted to the City Clerk of the city within 30 days of the date the adopted ordinance would become effective.

What is the West Coyote Hills project?

Developer Pacific Coast Homes proposes to build a maximum of 760 residential units (579 detached single family and 181 attached single family units) in an approximate 180-acre portion of the area. Other components of the Specific Plan include a neighborhood commercial center and open space and recreational uses, including the Bob Ward Nature Preserve. The project area is located generally between Rosecrans Avenue and the northern city limits and eastern edge of the Hawks Pointe development (off Beach Blvd.) and Euclid Avenue.

What is the status of the project?

City Council approved the project in May 2011.  After approval, a citizen group appealed the City Council’s decision through a successful referendum process.  This has placed the project on hold until the voters determine whether to uphold or repeal Ordinance No. 3169 in November 2012.

Where can I find more information about the referendum?

You can view the staff report that placed this measure on the ballot at http://cityoffullerton.com/weblink8/1/doc/426846/Page1.aspx.

Fireworks Initiative information

What does this measure propose?

In 1990, the voters adopted an amendment to the Fullerton Municipal Code which banned the sale, use and possession of all fireworks in the City.  The measure on the November 2012 ballot proposed to rescind the section of the Municipal Code prohibiting the use, sale and possession of state-approved fireworks within city limits. 

 How did this measure get on the ballot?

City Council placed this measure on the ballot.

 What happens if the voters approve the measure?

If approved, City Council would establish policies and procedures for use and sale of fireworks in Fullerton.

Where can I find more information about the initiative?

You can view the staff report that placed this measure on the ballot at http://cityoffullerton.com/weblink8/1/doc/449380/Page1.aspx.

RSS for Fullerton NewsFullerton eLists
Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map | Disclaimer & Privacy PolicyCopyright © 2000 - 2015 City of Fullerton. City Clerk, 303 W. Commonwealth, Fullerton, CA 92832. (714) 738-6350