Here are some steps to assist you with registering your business. These steps cover the majority of businesses, however, there are always exceptions! Please feel free to call us at (714) 738-6531 or (714) 738-5326 with your questions or for further clarification.
STEP 1 - Business Name
Using Your Name
Let's start with your name. Are you planning to use your own personal name just as it is without anything added? For example: John Smith is your personal name. If you use John Smith, then a fictitious filing will probably not be necessary.
Using a Fictitious Name
If the name you have chosen for your business is different from your personal name (for Example: John's Bikes), then you need to start by using the Fictitious Business Name Search available from the Orange County Clerk's Office.
The second part of the process is the printing of the notice in an approved Orange County newspaper once a week for four weeks. A list of newspapers can be obtained from the Orange County Clerk's office.
Register your Fictitious Business Name with the Orange County Clerk-Recorder.
STEP 2 - Resale or Sales Tax Use Permit
The next step is filing for a "Resale or Sales Tax Use Permit" from the State Board of Equalization (SBOE) (www.boe.ca.gov). You will definitely need a resale tax permit if you are planning on any retail sales. It is always best to check with the SBOE to see if this tax permit is needed for your particular business.
STEP 3 - Return the Application
Home Based Business
If you have a business that is based in your home:
- Print a copy of the Business Registration application.
- Call for the business tax due (Tax Schedule), (714) 738-6531.
- Complete the application (be sure to read and initial the Home Occupation Agreement on the application).
- Mail or bring it to Fullerton City Hall, 303 W. Commonwealth Ave., along with a check made payable to the City of Fullerton. City Hall Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. the Second and Fourth Fridays. City Hall is closed alternate Fridays.
If you are a business located out-of-town and will be working in our City, you may follow the same instructions, but you do not need to read or initial the Home Occupancy Agreement.
If you are conducting your business from a commercial location in Fullerton:
- You must hand deliver the application to our Community Development Department (2nd floor) for their approval. Any questions that the Planning or Building Division may have regarding your business can be answered at that time.
- Once your application has been approved and signed by the Planning and Building Divisions, our office will issue you a temporary business registration receipt. The actual business registration certificate will be mailed to you within 10 business days.